Ok, this will probably be of no interest to anyone but me. It's not of much interest to me, only to record, and attempt to focus on, my progress . . .
I will briefly outline where I was, where I'm at, and where I
I'm 5ft 5" and my usual weight (in-between pregnancies) was 57kg (126lbs). In my mid 20's and again at the height of my addiction, (1.6g day) aged 42, I weighed 53kg (119lbs).
After my daughter (5) was born, then being diagnosed with Emphysema and COPD, I drastically reduced my heroin habit to one bag (.2g) a day, sometimes two, I settled at 60kg (133lbs). This was a good weight for me and is what I'm aiming for.
During the last three years however, for various reasons: onset of menopause (?), celibacy, back ache from epidural . . . age, methadone, chocolate, ice cream, cakes and lack of self-discipline I have gradually gained weight and now weigh 70kg (155lbs)!! I was only ever that weight at full term pregnancy.
So . . . I aim to lose 10kg (22lbs). Tone up. Firm up. Man up! Improve my lung function and stamina.
Two weeks ago I changed my eating habits. When I'm back to my normal weight I'll allow myself a bit more freedom with food. We've always had good food, proper home cooked meals, but I did go a bit silly on chocolate, biscuits, cakes, puddings, magnums (ice creams) etc. I used to be able to get away with these things. I can't anymore. So I won't persist.
These are the foods I've allowed myself since 14th April. I choose from the list below, three or four times a day. I only have any one of them once a day, apart from the fruit salad . . . And I stop at 6pm. Apart from Saturday evening when I have a treat . . .WayHay!! I had a magnum. The new one, I can't remember what it's called.
- Home made fresh fruit salad. (when the fruit was kept in the fruit bowl, I used to end up composting half of it . . . now it's chopped up into a huge fruit salad every couple of days, everyone loves it!) well they would. Lazy buggers.
- Muesli/Alpen (no sugar) with semi-skimmed milk once a day.
- 2 Poached eggs (from local farm) on two slices of seeded bread.
- 2 Ryvita slices with low fat Philadelphia and tomatoes.
- Tuna and cheese on two slices of toasted seeded bread.
- A small bowl of Couscous with roasted veg and chilli mixed in.
- Raw: Sugar snaps/mangetout/celery/carrot sticks . . . dipped in houmous.
- Water, Water and more water with a squeeze of fresh lemon and/or lime.
- Starting at 70kg (155lbs)
- Two weeks later 68kg (150lbs) (30th April)
- Two weeks later 68kg (15th May)
- Two weeks later 66kg (145lbs) (31st May) I put the weights, skipping and workout on hold as of the 7th May when I started walking four miles a day in order to get Hamper G to and from school. I am still eating the same foods as I listed and when I've become accustomed to the daily walking, I intend to start up with the weights, skipping and work-out again. I will still record my weight here for now.
- Six weeks later 64kg (13th July) The school holidays begin today, so my obligatory 4 mile walk to and from school will be put on hold until September. I will try to replace this with other walks, skipping again, weights and workout . . . My goal was, and still is, 60kg . . . Only 4 kg to go. I am pleased with my progress in this area and am still only eating foods from my list above . . . plus one treat per week.
Fitness and Firming
Below is one set (for now I do just one set a day)
Skipping per day
- My starting point was 120 jumps (3 x sets of 40 (20 slow/20 fast))
- Two weeks later 320 jumps (4 x sets of 80 (40 slow/40 fast))
- Starting point 15 (ouch)
- Two weeks later 30
Triceps Dips (using a solid heavy chair)
- Starting point 3! (if anyone is reading this . . . don't laugh ;-) These buggers burn those shoulders)
- Two weeks later 7! YAY
Press-ups (man press-ups)
- OK, I'm still working on these! I can't believe I used to do 20 twice a day. I will record how many when it's no longer a fraction ;-)
Below is one set (again, one set a day for now)
Standing Bar-Bell Curls (12.5kg)
- Starting at 10 curls
- Two weeks later 15 curls
Standing Bar-Bell Curls (12.5kg) Overhand
- Starting at 10 curls
- Two weeks later 10 curls
Two arm Bar-Bell bent over Row (12.5kg) Overhand
- Starting at 10
- Two weeks later 20
Upright Row Bar-Bell (12.5kg)
- Staring at 10
- Two weeks later 15
Single Arm Standing Triceps Extension (3kg)
- Starting at 20
- Two weeks later 30
Okee Dokee . . . I will up-date at three weeks on 7th May. I hope, as with most things, writing this down will help me to focus on the progress. We'll see . . .