Friday 10 February 2012

So where were we?

Ok I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Let me start with a brief description of what appeared to happen then I will follow with an explanation of what really went on. I hope that makes sense.

Roughly ten days ago, after noticing my breathing deteriorate, I realised I had been using an empty inhaler for possibly three or four days. The inhaler is specifically designed to manage the symptoms of emphysema. It's for long term use, unlike the blue Ventolin usually used by asthmatics for immediate effect on chronic symptoms. I sometimes use the Ventolin too if I get breathless.

Ok so no problem I had a new one at the ready and started on that . . . By last Saturday morning things were not improving, I checked my inhaler and discovered I had thrown the new one in the bin and was still using the empty one!! I know, I know, hard to believe but true. It isn't a spray inhaler or a cfc one. It has a block of the effective drug in the bottom and when you twist it, it grinds a small amount of this drug which you then inhale hard and fast . . . There is no taste, only effect.

Stropster came in from work last Saturday, went through the outdoor bin for me and found the new inhaler . . . which I immediately double dosed on to try and get some "lungs" back. By Sunday morning my neck, face and head were swollen. My head was hurting so much I couldn't touch it and everyone except me seemed to think I might need an ambulance. I was extremely confused and began to think I was de-hydrated. I would not listen to anyone. By Tuesday the Dr had called and prescribed strong anti-bios for what she had diagnosed "over the phone" as a chest infection. She thought maybe the head pains were from over compensating with the inhaler.  She thought wrong.
Apart from my head hurting to the touch all over there were random stabbing pains across my head  and eyes at varying intervals and a dull throbbing at the top of my neck. . . Awful. Frightening.

I was in bed until this morning. I couldn't get up, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think straight and couldn't reason. It didn't feel like my usual "chest infection" as I have specific physiotherapy to do when I get an infection to clear the damaged lung, as it can't clear itself. This didn't seem to be making any difference. My lung wasn't hurting. My trachea was and my head was. Also the anti-bios didn't seem to be "kicking in".

I prayed for the strength to say no to gear and for the first time in twelve years I chose not to use. Last night when I realised this prayer had worked I prayed to be a little better this morning so I wouldn't be sent to hospital and so I could care for the kids. I woke up and didn't think I felt better but within an hour or so I found myself in the kitchen (downstairs for the first time) putting on the washing . . . Then washing up . . . Then changing the bedding. The head pains had gone. I was still very short of breath but I persevered, partly in case I had to go to hospital so things would be in order at home.
The Surgery phoned to cancel my morning appointment due to snow but transferred me to another Dr for 4.10pm. By the time 4pm came I had swept, mopped, vacuumed, cleaned bathroom, toilet etc etc. It's amazing how dirty things can get when I have a week off. I had caught up on at least 5 loads of washing . . . and realised that once again my prayers had been answered. Sorry this was meant to be short.

So off I went to the Dr . . . I explained all of the above to her. A very understanding, non-judgemental middle aged woman. She listened thoroughly to both my story and my lungs, then the trachea area. She checked my throat. Good lord! She almost jumped . . . That's where the infection had got in . . . from my inhaler that had spent four days in the bin!! So far the infection hasn't gone to my lungs, which I suspected, its all in the trachea/primary bronchi area, which is why the physio was not helping. It's also why my head was in screaming pain as the infection tried to spread elsewhere . . . And for every anti-bio I took, I also took two huge great puffs on the offending dirty inhaler. So that's safely back in the bin now and I have a  new one.

The Dr was shocked when I said this was me "almost better, well on the mend". . . to the extent that I had just cleaned the house. She couldn't understand how I had got through a week in bed so seriously ill and hadn't let someone call an ambulance. She doesn't know how scared I am of hospitals. Or how scared I am of dying there. She said I'd been "lucky" to fight this and "lucky" that it hadn't gone to my lungs . . . but it still could. She made me promise I would come home, go to bed and rest for at least three more days. I said Yes . . . Once I've got the clean bedding back on all the beds. She laughed. I laughed. I was going home again . . . I could laugh.

So there we have it . . . Clean house! clean bedding! clean me!! Hallelujah I say! I'd be bloody rude not to really wouldn't I?

19 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how happy I am to read this - as bizarre as it is to say that I'm happy to know that you're headed back to bed; you're headed back to bed one more day sober and one more day healthier!! The power of prayer! (not to get all religious or anything).

    Good for you!! Keep on feeling better. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Thanks L me too! I'm starting to feel pretty pleased about the whole thing too now. I know (about the religious thing) I don't want people to think it's turning into some kinda "religious blog" cus that aint the deal at all. But I can't deny I prayed . . . and I can't deny I managed to say "No" yet another day :-)
      How happy am I? x

      Delete
  2. Yay. And perhaps all the good wishes for you in the blogosphere helped too. Or your own stubborn nature. The I can't give up now I have children to nurture and love. Now give some of that love to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely for sure all those good things sent my way . . . came my way and helped.
      You're right, I need to treat myself like I treat my kids.
      Thanks for that bit of advice. In which case I best go tuck myself in! Goodnight and you too, take good care.

      Delete
  3. Awww god loves you. There is a big difference between "religion" and realizing you have no strength left to do it alone, so you invited a power greater than yourself to come and help you. And he did. I think the definition of that is more "faith" or "relationship." but definitely not religion. I am so happy to have read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annette . . . I replied below instaed of here by mistake.

      Delete
  4. Yes I think the mere mention of "religion" sends folk scattering . . . which is hardly surprising. But unfortunately "religion" has given God a bad name.
    I keep my faith as simple as possible . . . I've had enough "proof" and that'll do me. I can also see how people find it hard to believe in God.
    Anyway its a new cold, snowy, frosty, beautiful day . . . And I'm not gonna use today :-) (do you know how strange that feels after 12yrs?) Now THAT is hard to believe . . . But it's true.
    Just about to sign off and The Saturday Daily Mail just got delivered through my door. Headlines . . . "Christianity under attack". I'll say no more on that one . . . I don't want to get political AND "Religious" ;-)
    Have a good day Annette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad that you are home...bet the kids are too.Very inspiring post,so simple and so effective.Yesterday after reading you i was grateful for my breath,today,i am reminded of the power of a simple prayer.And the power of a mother's love.Hope you are tucked up warm and getting your healing rest.You must be relieved to know exactly what you are dealing with after all those scary symptoms.Much love x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey yeah Annie . . . Me too. I'm grateful for being able to almost breath today. I want to go out for a walk in the snow before it disappears but I'm not allowed. Boo hoo. I suppose I can't complain now . . . At least I'm at home with a lot to be thankful for. Hugs n love to you n yours x x x (I'll FB later)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your kind reply to my comment. Never did a blog, just too technologically challenging, but enjoy living vicariously through everyone else.
    I laughed at you rising from your sick bed to spring clean the house, only a mother!!! but glad to hear you are on the mend and not using. God moves in mysterious ways as they say.
    Kiwigirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a mother indeed! I really have no idea how on earth I did it now. I just ventured slowly downstairs to put some electric in and was "breathless" and on my "puffer" half way back upstairs!
      Like you say . . . Mysterious ways and all that.
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  7. bugerlugs...i sent a private message(i think) with my email address. if not my blog email address is mymethdiaries@hotmail.com or chek ur private email and u will get a message with mine. im looking forward to tracking down your brothers grave and at least giving u a photo of it and the place where he is buried to ease ur minds slightly. talk soon...xo lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lovey, I'll go check my E-mails then send you the details . . . I've actually got time now to sit on laptop all day! I might finally work out how to use the scanner and dig out my 5000 old photos . . . Then post some. That'd be fun.
      Thanks again for your help will let you know when details are sent. Take care x

      Delete
  8. Fucking brilliant! The clean bit obviously and that you are on the mend, issue is known and being resolved.

    So so pleased to read - this was the time wasn't it... I really do wish you the best recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep . . . all good. Well breathing not good but at least it isn't in my lungs.
      It still seems unreal to me that i'm not using . . . Like it's too good to be true . . . And how come I'm ok?
      But it is true and I am ok.
      Thanks as always for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  9. That's pretty scary - that your meds would have gotten tainted and given you a nasty infection! I suppose if it were damp in the bin, it would make sense. You are lucky it didn't get into your lungs! It is typical of women that we muddle through our housework - I'm not a great housekeeper but there are some things that HAVE to be done - so I totally get why you'd be at it. (I don't understand why kids don't just automatically jump in and help out when Mum is sick - husbands are no better - except they will buy take out for dinner)

    So glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was in the outside bin . . . The big, dirty one and the inhaler had fallen out of it's own binbag so was loose in all the dirt. It has a lid but the air vents at the bottom are exposed and we presume something had found it's way in there.Yuk! Perish the thought.
      Maybe if my eldest two were girls they would help more . . . Who knows.
      Stropster has his moments where he will "get on one" and do my stuff . . . But boy do we hear about it ;-) Bless him.

      Delete
  10. hey i accidently deleted his details so can u email me what u want the plaque to say. ill order it online tonight and pick it up tomorrow if they get it done that quik. my friend is pretty quik usually with others shes done for me. xo lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi . . . Not sure if you sent this after my E-mail or before so I'll E-mail again just incase. Thanks again x

      Delete